What type of smoke detectors do I need in my Short-Term Vacation Rental?

Per Florida Administrative Code 69A-43 - 

69A-43.009 Automatic Smoke Detection Requirements.

(1) The single station smoke detectors specified for construction contracts before October 1, 1983, by Section 509.215, F.S., for transient public lodging establishments which are less than 3 stories in height and by Section 721.24, F.S., for a time-share plan which is less than 3 stories in height shall be approved UL 217, listed single station smoke detector. Existing facilities may continue to use battery powered smoke detectors provided they are tested on a regular basis in accordance with paragraph (1)(b), and replaced in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations, as required in Section 2-6 of NFPA 72, the edition as adopted in Rule 69A-3.012, F.A.C., but not less than once every twelve (12) months. New facilities shall have the detectors powered by the building electrical service with a rechargeable battery as a secondary power supply in compliance with NFPA 72, Section 1-5.2.6, the edition as adopted in Rule 69A-3.012, F.A.C.

(a) All such smoke detectors shall comply with NFPA 72, Section 2-3, the edition as adopted in rule Chapter 69A-3, F.A.C.

(b) Battery powered, single station smoke detectors, where used, shall be tested and inspected not less frequently than once per week. A log of the required tests and inspections shall be kept and available to the authority having jurisdiction at any time. This log shall include, but not be limited to, the following information and any other information as may be required by the authority having jurisdiction.

1. A list, clearly identifying each individual detector by its physical location.

2. The date of each required test & inspection.

3. The identity and signature of the inspector.

4. The result of each test & inspection.

5. The completion date and form of any maintenance performed.

6. The completion date and form of any corrective measures taken for each improperly functioning device.

7. A copy of the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule and procedures.

(c) At such time that the authority having jurisdiction finds cause to believe that the requirements of paragraph (1)(a) or (b), are not being fulfilled, detectors powered by the building electrical system shall be required.

(2) Specialized smoke detectors for the deaf and hearing-impaired as required by Section 509.215(6), F.S., shall be listed by a nationally recognized testing laboratory for the intended use, and shall:

(a) Have a visual signaling appliance which has an effective intensity rating of at least 100 candela; and,

(b) Be listed by a nationally recognized testing laboratory for the particular purpose of alerting the deaf and hearing impaired in the event of a fire.

Show All Answers

1. What is a short term vacation rental?
2. What buildings are exempted? 
3. How do I apply for a Short-Term Vacation Rental Certificate? 
4. Does my property be inspected prior to issuance of the certificate? 
5. Why do I need to have a local responsible party assigned to my rental(s)?
6. What are the specific duties and qualifications of the Short-Term Vacation Rental Responsible Party? 
7. What if I need to change my designated Short Term Vacation Rental Responsible Party? 
8. What does my short-term vacation renter lease/agreement have to say? 
9. Do I have to post anything at the short-term vacation rental, and where do I need to place it? ?
10. Can my short-term vacation rental sign be larger than 18 inches by 12 inches?
11. What is the occupancy limit for a rental house?
12. How many parking spaces are allowed per rental?
13. How do we obtain a TDT Registration Number?
14. As the property owner, I am available to address any issues do I still need a local responsible party?
15. What if my short-term vacation rental is three (3) or more stories high, is anything required?
16. How many trash cans are required per short-term vacation rental?
17. I just received a warning notification letter regarding Walton County Short-Term Vacation Rental Certification Program non-compliance. How much time do I have to become compliant?
18. How do we know if we are in a Wildlife Protection Zone and if we need to give notice of sea turtle nesting and lighting usage?
19. Does Walton County require a copy of all rental agreements?
20. Do we need a FL Dept of Business and Professional Regulation license? If so, how do we obtain one?
21. What is considered "Gross Floor Area" or "Livable Space"?
22. Will I have to renew my certificate?
23. Are there any additional requirements?
24. My HOA covenants don't specifically state that short-term vacation rentals are not allowed, can I still have one?
25. What sanitary and safety requirements do I have to meet?
26. What type of smoke detectors do I need in my Short-Term Vacation Rental?
27. What other fire safety standards are required for my Short-Term Vacation Rental?
28. How long do I have to become compliant with the life safety requirements in the Ordinance?
29. Will I automatically receive a Walton County Certificate if I am registered with Florida Department of Revenue, Department of Business & Professional Regulation, and Walton County TDT registration?
30. For the required posted materials inside unit, can these be in a binder, in the home?
31. Where do I get the evacuation routes with flood zone information?
32. Where do I find the approved locking device list?
33. Is every home required to have the specialized smoke alarm for the hearing impaired?
34. Do I have to register my condominium as a short-term vacation rental with Walton County?
35. Can I rent out my carriage house as a vacation rental and I live in the main house?
36. I'm a property manager, can I apply for a Walton County Short-Term Vacation Rental Certificate on behalf of the owner(s)?