Walton County Code Compliance to Begin Proactive Enforcement in Oakwood Hills
Beginning on Monday, March 1st, 2021, the Walton County Code Compliance Department will begin the process of proactive code enforcement in the Oakwood Hills area of Walton County. The Oakwood Hills area is located North of US Hwy 90, east of New Harmony Road and West of Boy Scout Road.
On Thursday, February 5, District 3 Commissioner Michael Barker hosted a neighborhood public meeting to discuss the Code Compliance action.
Walton County Code Compliance is releasing the following information for residents:
- Roll off dumpsters will be place at beginning Monday, February 8thfor residents to bring materials.
- Iitems not to be put in dumpsters are motor oil or oils of any kind, household food garbage, paints or chemicals of any kind such as insecticides or household cleaners, tires, batteries, electronics, land clearing debris (small amount of brush is allowed, but dumpster is not intended for large land clearing debris.)
- Please do not over fill the dumpster. The load has to be tarped. You are allowed (3) dumpsters within in a 30-day period starting the date the first dumpster is dropped at your property.
- Residents in the area can make an appoint with a Code Compliance Officer, prior to March 1st, 2021, in order to have their properties assessed to check for compliance with Code. Offices will work with residents to provide them with information regarding any violations on their property prior to the beginning of the proactive enforcement.
- To schedule an appointment, residents can contact Code Compliance at 850-622-0000.
- Walton County Code Compliance works under the Walton County Land Development Code – Chapter VII – Code Enforcement.
- Link to Land Development Code - https://library.municode.com/fl/walton_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CO_APXCLADECO_CHVIICOEN
- Whenever a code officer has reason to believe that any provision of Code is being violated, s/he may initiate enforcement proceedings as provided in this Code and by general law.
- Walton County Code Compliance enforces under the Litter and Nuisance Control Ordinance.
- Link to Ordinance – https://library.municode.com/fl/walton_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CO_CH9EN_ARTIVLINUCO
- This ordinance covers such items as salvage items, nuisance items, litter, fencing, storage and abandoned vehicles.
While it is the mission of Code Compliance to work towards a positive outcome of self-compliance by property owners, if violations continue to exist, the Code Compliance Department does reserve the right to issue citations for any violations that are not brought up to code. Violations of codes and ordinances shall carry a fine as provided from time to time by resolution of the Board of County Commissioners. However, in no event shall a fine exceed $500.00 per violation.
If any property owner or resident should have any questions, you may contact the Walton County Code Compliance Office at 850-622-0000.