Submittal Requirements

The first step to submitting a development of any kind is to call (850) 267-1955 to schedule a pre-application meeting with staff. No applications will be accepted prior to a pre-application meeting.

Obtaining a Variance

A variance as it pertains to the Walton County Land Development Code is a deviation from the regulatory language in the Land Development Code. An example of this would be: the code requires 7 1/2 foot setbacks from the side yard property lines on single-family lots and no structures are permitted within the setbacks. In some cases, an applicant may wish to reduce the side yard setbacks from 7 1/2 feet to 5 feet. The applicant would meet with Planning staff for a Pre-Application Conference and thereafter submit a Petition For Variance with required fee. The department advertises the petition, the owner notifies the adjacent property owners per Land Development Code section requirements and the Board of Adjustments hears the item for final decision. The variance must be based upon a hardship as described in section 8.02.00 of the Land Development Code. A final order is issued by the Board of their decision, and recorded with the Clerk of Court of Walton County, Florida.


10.01.02. Appeal to Board of Adjustment.

Any applicant, or other person directly affected by an administrative decision who desires review of an administrative decision made by the Director shall file a written request for such review, within 30 days after the date of the Director's decision, with the designated secretary of the Board of Adjustment. A copy of such request for review shall also be provided by the applicant (or other person requesting review) to the Director of the Department of Planning and Zoning within 30 days of the date of the action being appealed. Review shall then be conducted by the Board of Adjustment in accordance with the requirements of Sections 9.03.00 and 10.02.00 of this Code. The decision of the Board of Adjustment shall constitute final action of the County government and may, thereafter, be appealed to the Circuit Court in accordance with Florida law.